Thursday, January 4, 2018

Blog #2

Reflection #2

Again, in the book Sophie’s World I find the storyline of Sophie and Alberto Knox almost unnecessary, and the book so far seems like it’s a philosophy textbook in the guise of a novel with a relevant story. Maybe this is what it’s trying to be, and offering relief in between lessons whilst displaying how a teenager reflects upon philosophy. Early in the sections we read the book teaches about the Hellenistic Philosophies, and the one I find most interesting was the branch of Epicureanism. These philosophers saw the aim of life as trying to experience the most pleasure, including sensory enjoyment from drinking and eating, but also happiness from relationships like friends or a significant other. They weighed the possible enjoyment of things between long and short term happiness, and thought about the consequences or side effects that could lessen your overall happiness. Compared to the other Hellenistic Philosophies, this one also seems like the best to believe (keeping in mind that everyone thinks differently). I feel that this encompasses the good part of Cynicism, where happiness is found beyond material possessions, because the Epicurean’s focus on happiness/enjoyment includes immaterial things, like relationships. I agree with Stoicism’s ideals, that you should learn to endure pain, but following Epicureanism, you would constantly be putting yourself in the best overall position for your pleasure. Due to this you would likely deal with the least pain, but it is still important to deal with it. Skepticism seems like the worst way to live, because it seems like putting blind faith in destiny will work out, when in reality there are people who end up in dire circumstances (in poverty, homeless, hungry, dead) because they aren’t concerned about their future. With Epicureanism, one would be concerned with their long term happiness and hopefully stray from being in dire situations.


Connection #2

In my life, I feel that I follow a way of life similar to the epicureans, but with the biggest focus on achieving the most possible happiness. The biggest criticisms of the Epicureans were that they were perceived to be lazy partygoers, but I put a much higher focus on attaining long terms happiness, because I think that working and suffering now (in school) will pay off in my future (beyond college) and result in greater happiness than if I slacked off now. This ideology is something I’m actually constantly and consistently aware and conscious of. Really, this can apply to almost any decision, and is indeed prevalent in my decision making for my choices that affect my future. One example is when I was choosing my classes for this year. I decided to take Speech and Computer Tech over summer so that I could take more electives during the actual school, lessening my stress and allowing me to take more classes oriented towards my career (engineering and engineering electives). Another example is when I’m thinking of extracurriculars and time management. I do GSC and robotics, which both require a significant commitment, and I’m happy with the amount of freetime I have. But I also acknowledge that when I join a recreational soccer team, where it only has a once per week commitment, I can do that without straining myself because it’s fun and something I like to do. At this point it seems like being conscious of this ideology is almost redundant in decision making, since one would always try to make the “best decision” and consequently, that would likely result in the most overall happiness. I guess it just makes me super-aware of my everyday decision making as well as planning for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment